Thursday, November 30, 2006

Meeting Jesus through "Mary"

"Whatever you do to the least of these, you also do to me."
Often these words from Jesus are used as a calling to help those in need, and then thereby serving Jesus. However, I've experienced this verse from the gospel in Matthew in a whole new way. Today (keep in mind our first real work day) alone, in helping ONE family move cinder blocks I found Jesus.
So many people tell "us" that Jesus is about wealth, gold, "bling-bling" and all those Christmas gifts wish-lists. Yet, all those things will rust, be outdated, or even stolen----their hope runs dry. Yet, when I meet people who have every reason to be unfriendly, bitter and angry--they are not. Rather they are friendly, loving and welcoming. People who were once forced to the upper-most point of their homes as the water rose, give thanks because God protected, and because we came to help them. Oh, how they've blessed us!!
In the coming three weeks, the season of Advent guides us toward Jesus' birth in a likely, damp, musty, moldy manger. How fitting, that today (and the coming weeks I anticipate) I met Jesus through a woman who endured her once damp, musty, moldy home, which has now made way for NEW spackling, NEW paint, NEW hope, and yes, NEW LIFE.
For "Mary" I say, "I am blessed." For Jesus living through Mary I say, "Thanks be to God!"
Shalom <><
Adam

No comments: