Tuesday, December 5, 2006

The Call to be Uncomfortable

Today was a good day.
Today was an exhausting day (physically & emotionally)
Today was a good day.
After days of sitting for hours, traveling in the van; and sitting while hearing peoples' stories, (which I know are necessary) started to wear me thin. I came to work, to sweat and to work some more.
As I had to sit to gather myself before taking of my gear, and I could barely take of my "booties," it felt good to hurt. It felt good to be uncomfortable.
Now this thinking might be considered masochistic, but that's how I feel. So many people are suffering & uncomfortable--the "least I can do" is suffering amid the destruction.
I felt a heavy heart coming to the site today, and the only thing which kept together my sanity was tearing apart the kitchen. Tomorrow, we tear down and clean more, and become uncomfortable.
Uncomfortable for Jesus.
"If you want to be my disciples, you must deny yourselves, take up your cross and follow me."
Our "crosses" are not sickness, or personal quandries etc. Jesus did not take up the cross for himself, surely he didn't need salvation---he took up the cross for others. "Not my will, but your will be done."
We are called to be uncomfortable and take up our crosses for others.
Now I go to be uncomfortable by keeping up my 12-game Euchre losing streak.

Christ's Shalom,
Adam

No comments: