Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Creation and Destruction

Many times in my life I've participated in creating things - working with Habitat for Humanity, helping my village in Africa create a library, helping a congregation member with household tasks, etc. Yet, the past few days our group has been wholeheartedly and committedly tearing down a house. We're literally destroying a young man's house. We've slashed and slammed our hands, legs and crow bars into the walls bringing down dry wall and insulation. We've pushed wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of debris to and from the side of the road clearing out the house. Nails have been removed. Appliances that once functioned are found on the side of the road. Clothes, shoes, dishes, glasses, sporting equipment along with countless other memories are now sitting waiting on the road to be picked up. Each time I bring my hand up to destroy the wall bringing the pieces to the floor, I think about how many times I've worked to create life and security for others; how may times I've contributed to providing hope.

What exactly am I helping to create, what is our group working towards this week? Today after almost finishing mucking out the house, our group was proud of the work we completed. We worked hard - even the LDR lady was impressed with our work ethic and amount we completed in just two days. Tomorrow we'll go back and complete the house - the owner Brett will have a completely gutted house. He'll be grateful to eventually get it sold - relive himself of the burden of his house. Somehow, we've created a little hope for Brett.

Creation and destruction - as you can tell from the blogs, we've really created a community here on this trip. Our community came together to destroy and create anew the hope needed for Bret and others in the area. Yet, I still feel such sadness and annoyance at times for having to be here, for having to destroy due to the destruction already inflicted by Katrina - I keep searching for someone or something to blame. And by virtue of this blog I feel like I need to have some conclusions or theological reflections for everyone - but none here. Maybe that is where all you great Trinity students, faculty and staff can come in with some insights (hint for some people to send some comments our way!)

Peace,

Kim Knowle

No comments: