Sunday, December 10, 2006

No Pain No Gain

No I'm not Superman, and no I haven't sat idlely by watching others do all the work (though I am a good supervisor!) My muscles ache just like everyone else's.

The kind of pain I'm talking about is that of an emotional kind. I was beginning to have doubts about myself because my emotions were rather flat. I wasn't particularly angry or depressed. I don't remember tears flowing. Others seemed to be more easily touched than me. Was something wrong?

Two sleepless nights and trips to the sanctuary for prayer later, I finally realized that the experience was actually touching me very deeply. The swirl of stories and images in my mind constantly replaying like an old 8-Track tape (perhaps some of you remember these or have seen one) kept me awake as my mind tried unsuccessfully to figure it all out; to make sense of things.

After a day of mucking out, after moving stories, I have been moved to prayer in the sanctuary. I must have been moved somehow in those times, if my immediate response afterwards was to spend intimate time with the One who can make sense out of it all. Seeing the Lord in those telling stories or those being served led me directly to personal conversation with Jesus. I have been able to share my story with Him and the Holy Spirit has strengthened me for the days yet ahead.

I would say now that my pain is great and I have gained a lot.

No comments: