Friday, December 8, 2006

"I feel like I owe it to others to give back."

Our speaker tonight, Mike, shared humorously and honestly of his story and the story of countless others who endured, survived and are still living in the aftermath of Katrina. After a day of painting and helping create the living space for future LDR volunteers, we spent the evening listening to Mike. Through it all I feel compelled to share the story of all of us Trinity students and the stories of so many people down here. With hope, Mike shared his desire to help others as he has been similarly helped in his life with clothing, money, support and friendship.

Over and over again we've been informed of the devastation and catastrophe that has occurred here in the south - our minds are full of statistics and facts that boggle the mind. We have pictures of people, families and animals struggling for survival, living amidst debris and clinging to anything that is of some kind of normal. However, tonight, Mike laughed, we laughed.

I left the speaker again full of sadness but more importantly, full of hope. It was a hope rooted in his ability to continually reach out to others amidst his own need. There was a hope for the future as we heard of others coming to strangers and neighbors in a spirit of camaraderie. And there is hope in our group as we are here sharing with each other, living in community, witnessing the destruction and finding the joy and spirit of giving within ourselves and those living here in the New Orleans area.

So, Mike is an animal lover - because of the support he received regarding his own animals and housing situation, he has dedicated some of his time and energy to volunteering at a local animal agency working to reunite animals and their owners. One simple act by one person rippled to another so that many more can take part in the sharing and caring.

I'm reminded of my last night in my village in The Gambia: sitting outside for dinner with the women, one girl turned to me and told me to look at the moon. She commented that the next day when I would not be in village with them, during dinner, I was to look at the moon and remember that the same moon shining over me then was the same moon shining over them as well. We all live under the same moon - and as I'm living and working in New Orleans for this short period of time, I can look to the moon and know that the same moon shines here as in Ohio. When I arrive back home, distance may separate me but the moon still shines. All us Trinity folk feel compelled to share the story of the people of New Orleans. We share the same moon. Next time you happen to be outside and under the beauty and light of the moon, remember your neighbors and fellow humans under that same moon. Remember the times of pain or sadness when you received hope and then share that hope with others.

Peace,

Kim Knowle

No comments: