Friday, December 1, 2006

Bluegrass, Cheeseballs, and Dancing Dell

a LiTTLE HuMoR GoeS A LonG WAy.

After devouring a considerable amount of pizza, we all headed off to Grace Lutheran Church in Long Beach Mississippi for a fun filled night of "bluegrass" singing. Not that I am complaining, but after being trapped in a 12 passanger van for six hours today, sharing everyone's carbon dioxide, I was ready to get out and burn a little energy. I don't think those people at Grace Lutheran really knew what hit them tonight!

So walking into the church, the first thing I remarked was that there was a cheeseball and cracker spread at every table. There was an overload of homemade cookies and brownies, there was tea, coffee, hot cocoa; it was truly a Lutheran culinary spectacle! Why did we eat dinner before coming? Of course there would be food!

Now I am not excactly a modest or shy person, but I thought my behavior on the trip thus far has been perfectly compsed and tempered. (Some of my tripmates will probably disagree). But as soon as those banjos and guitars started going, I was off, slapping my knees, hooping out, clapping and stomping my feet. The Holy Spirit was infectious. Soon, people were taking the lead, jumping out of their cold metal folding chairs and began dancing and kicking up their feet. We started a congo line, and even some of the older members got up to dance around the floor with us. "Clap, Clap, Clap, 'Choo-Choo!'"

One particular man really struck my fancy. His name was Dell. He is a white haired, 81 year old, dressed all in black with the boots to match. When he smiled he revealed a fine pair of sparkling white dentures. I could literally see him grinning from across the room. AND this mand could dance; this old man could dance circles around all of us young fools. He had perfect foot work, and he strutted and circled his way around, not trying to show off too much.
I had the pleasure of waltzing with him. (This was the first time in my life when I didn't actually have to take the lead). In fact, Dell grabbed and pulled me around the dance floor by the back of my bra strap. That was kind weird, but I didn't want to have a boundary conversation with an 81 year old man in the middle of my first waltz. Dell and his wife moved to Mississippi from Canada and have spent some of their leisure time taking ballroom dancing lessons, and it showed. He made me feel like a 1950's country movie star!
The very next song, the suave man in black swooped up his dainty wife and twirled her around the floor. All of us youngins' stood watching, cheering and whooping for Dancin' Dell. "Got get em Dell!" we yelled.
It was a wonderful evening. Even Pastor Ruth got out there and took a few turns. It was amazing to see the Spirit move us all; every one was laughing, singing, clapping and dancing.
We have been informed that our ministry in New Orleans and Mississippi is mostly about Spiritual care. I was able to see tonight how far a little foolishness and humor goes in a room of people who have lost the will to relax and enjoy their lives. I pray that we were able to lift their spirits and bring a little healing into their lives, if only for the one night.

God's Peace and Happy Blessings to All of You.

Leah Whitaker

PS. I miss all of the Christmas Decorations already, there is a serious lack of Holiday Cheer down here.

No comments: