Monday, December 11, 2006

People Who Are "Little Christs" to Me

The masks, safety suits & helmets have been sanitized. The paint rollers have been rinsed. Our work here is done. And amid all the feelings of struggle, anger, depression, sadness, confusion--the feeling which first comes to mind about this experience is hope & thankfulness.
Not just thankful that in a couple of days I'll go back to a warm, carpeted, food-filled apartment; but above all from this experience, I'm thankful for the friendships & communities that God has blessed me with.
"My mouth is filled with your praise, and with your glory all day long, (Ps. 71:8)."

I praise God for these people:

Nick--definately a new brother in Christ. He has the right jokes at the right time, always keeping the mood in the group light-hearted, but always willing to share a prophetic word. He is a life-loving and caring man of God. Patient with my horrible Euchre skills too (and of course a gracful winner in pie eating contests).

Halldor--It had been a blessign to serve with Halldor these days. He is the most caring, easy-going & gentle man. I can't really remember a time when he hasn't had a smile on his face, let alone get upset at anyone. Halldor is generous in sharing his time for everyone and is always first concerned with others feelings and confidence. Has a great gift at spakling. "Claim your confidence!" Thanks to Halldor, I will!

Tom---Eccumenical relationships can happen! Tom has been great in tolerating our "token Episcopalian" jokes, and once he's "warmed up," it's been hilarious to hear him "fighting back." Tom has great skills in the kitchen, and even though he wouldn't share his collared greems with me, he a great man. I've appreciated his intent on always learning more, and growing in his sense of being a pstor. The Episcopal church is blessed to have Tom.

Kim K.--I had only met Kim a hand-full of times before this trip. Right away, I knew she'd be cool because she went to Wittenberg. More seriously, it has been a blessing to see her quietness give way to smoking me in "parking-lot football." I'm inspired by her compassion and her stories from in the Peace Corps. in The Gambia.

Kim C.---Ahhh, the lone fellow senior! Kim was the really the one person I knew before this trip. It has been great see a glimpse of her as pastor, and not just as fellow-student (which I've seen the last 3.5 yrs.). I'm inspired by her dedication to disaster relief following hurricanes (I think this was her 7th hurricane relief effort). Kimi will make a great pastor as she pursues a Ph.D. Hopefully she won't end up in Nebraska (sorry an insider joke there).

Mary----Anyone could look at the age difference between Mary & me and think she's old enough to be my grandmother, but that didn't happen this week. In these days, Mary really became a sister in Christ to me. Mary has a great passion for people and their stories. She has an enormous heart and is always willing to share the story of Good News.

Bill & Dave---Two "tag-alongs" from Gathsemane (sp?) in Columbus. I'm moved by their dedication to bring the "stories of Katrina" to their congregation (they came to scope out the relief efforts ahead of time). For two older men (age is relative though), they can hang in with the best of us---working when we're all ready to pack in the van & better yet, they make it home on the "late van" from the French Quarters.

Leah--Of the people in our group, Leah is possibly one of the ones who surpsied me most. She is genuinely caring and compassionate for all people (Dancin' Del) and loves to sing their song (even if it isn't aloud--insider joke again). I've appreciated her willingness to "tell it like it is," and her passion to share the Good News with everyone she meets. I've been blessed with some of our talks on theology & sacraments--indeed a great pastor in the making (and she CAN actually sings the Kyrie!).

Pastor Ruth----A caring & compassion woman, and a faithful shepherd. I'm grateful she was my shepherd for this trip. I appreciate her patience (playing with a flat basketball, when maybe we should have been working), and her flexibility. I'm inspired by her stories of world travels & her dedication to help the church grow out of its shortcomings.

Pastor Keener & Pastor Barb (Peace) & Pastor Barb (Grace)-----
"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you [Lord] are with me, (Ps. 23:4)."
When the waters came, many shepherds left their sheep. When the waters subsided, and the mold began to rise, more shepherds left their sheep. These three shepherds stayed, they stayed when the wolves of fear, depression and anger settled in, and they waded through the dibree of serving a crucifed community---filled with hope of our Resurrected Lord.

I'm anxious about how I'll react when I return to Columbus, it'll take some time to "unwrap" all I've seen & done. But I'm more excited for as much as I've seen Christ crucifed in this place, I know that he has risen!!
How will God use this experience to shape me as a pstor? Only time will tell, but I trust the as God has walked with me through this week, God will lead me on through the devastation & rebuilding of life.

"What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived what God has prepared for those who love the Lord, (1Cor. 2:9)."


Today, I grew for Jesus,
Adam

No comments: