Monday, December 11, 2006

The Winds of Slidel

After a day of cleaning up a pile of trash and priming drywall, we drove by Brett's house that we had mucked out last week and all of the enormous pile of what use to be the inside of his house had been hauled away. A shower, dinner and then a planning session for our presentation at school and I was feeling the stress. I had nearly shut down during the meeting. My nerve endings were sparking and I was ready to crawl out of my skin.

I needed space and some quiet. I do what I often do in times like this, I take a walk. I sing a new song that comes to me as I walk and I commune with the Lord. The breeze was blowing and I extended my hands so that the wind blew across the palms of my hands. That has become a sign of the Spirit's presence with me. Thirty or forty minutes of this and I was relaxed, calm and I was renewed in my call to priesthood.

The winds blow across the globe. In the winds of Slidel this evening, I found peace through the Spirit. Should I have been surprised that the Lord would bring peace in the midst of chaos?

No comments: