Sunday, December 10, 2006

Righteous Branches

Today's Celebrate includes a picture of a righteous branch arising from a stump. With that picture, today's pastor shared the message of all of us, the people of God, serving as the righteous branch. Could we all be that righteous branch? Could we all be a source of hope and support for others? Could we all provide life and grace to others? The pastor reminded us that too often we look to others, we wait for orders and help to come from somewhere else. Too often we wonder where God works in the world. But, that righteous branch, the seeds of hope, a life-giving spirit comes from each and everyone of us. The message ringing in my ears today emphasized God's anointing of all of us, an anointing to go and serve the Lord and to be God's hands and feet in the world. There has definitely been opportunities for sharing life and love on our trip; each day has been full of opportunities to serve as branches to those in need. Each day we have been privileged to be a branch of listening and care as we share in the stories of those living in the aftermath of Katrina.

And we have definitely not been lacking in our own experiencing of grace and love by God's people. The southern hospitality continued this morning with a potluck - as I sat with members of the congregation I was in awe of their strength and resolve. Story after story I heard of evacuations, loss of belongings, houses and cars, and efforts to rebuild and continue with their life. I sat and listened and they shared their stories - I wonder if they know how much of a righteous branch they all truly are to those of us coming down to the area for a short time and leaving? I wonder if they realize the life and grace they exhibit by simply going on and living their lives to the fullest despite all the struggles and losses?

To continue my rejuvenation today, as we shopped throughout the open air market downtown, I found an African shop. Inside the familiar rhythm of drums echoed, I felt at home. The cashier, a young woman from Dakar, was a part of the ethnic tribe in which I spent two years with in Africa. I spent some minutes grinning from ear to ear and speaking Wollof. As with many African conversations we conversed about my favorite foods, dancing, big butts, what I missed about Gambia, as well as hearing of her experience with Katrina. Her and her husband have continued to work in their shop making a living and being a part of the community. I felt her presence as a righteous branch.

Blessings to you all as you serve as righteous branches and witness righteous branches within your community,

Kim Knowle

No comments: