Monday, December 4, 2006

No people, no lights-- but one flame

This morning, we spent time cleaning-up around the church at which we're staying. This time of simple, yet needed work provided us with an opportunity for the group to continue to get to know & grown one another (together). I'm continually impressed with how great our group is as a community. At the beginning of the trip, I had my questions, after all there were several peolpe I'd never met, and others I didn't know all that well. God has blessed me with 8 brothers & sisters of the faith.
Tomorrow, we begin "mucking out" a house (basically removing possession & stripping down to the frame). On one hand, I'm looking forward to it because it'll be a "good amount of work" as a mild sense of cabin fever has driven me to want to go out and sweat & get sore for the people. After all, I did not come down here to sit around and watch tv...I can do that in Ohio....but I know that is all a needed part of the process. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to being (literally) in the middle of destruction. We may or may not work with the homeowner to recover some of their possessions, but we will be face to face with the carnage.
Tonight, I went into the sanctuary to pray. Only one dim light was on as well as the Eternal Flame. As I looked at the flame amid the darkness, I thought of areas such as the 9th Ward where tonight, there are no people, no lights, no life..but Christ is there. And Christ will be with us tomorrow.
Throughout this trip, I continue to be blown away by the holiness of this experience---it is not a class; but a daily, holy encounter with the bruised, bloodied & eternal Christ.
What hope is there in a crucified Christ? Come to New Orleans and see.

Shalom,
Adam

No comments: