Thursday, December 7, 2006

Dude, it's not bologna...

As I was eating lunch today, wondering to myself what kind of meat is actually in the pre-made, and delicious sandwich, I wondered where Jesus would be if he was in New Orleans today. I thought of all the places he might be... would he be swinging a sledge hammer next to me trying to demolish a cast-iron bathtub? or would Jesus be moving concrete blocks in Mississippi? Or would he be sitting in a FEMA trailer just listening (I'm so proud of you Mary!), maybe Jesus would be in the French Quarter doing magical tricks with a cowboy hat turned up-side trying to raise money for a shelter? Or maybe he would be in the ninth-ward living in a mucked out house which acts as a shelter/a pantry/ and a place just to come for help. Just maybe Jesus would be preparing dinner for a group of volunteers, and sharing in conversation. Maybe Jesus would turn his back and say, "It's not one of my gifts"... but I seriously doubt that. Maybe Jesus would turn the lights out in the bathroom while Halldor is still going... probably not, but I thought it was funny! (And Jenny, I know you are reading this, I just want to tell you that your husband is the coolest guy alive; I love talking to him, and having fun with him) Maybe Jesus would be in a FEMA trailer park, where drug and alcohol abuse are on the rise, and where suicides are up 900%.

The truth is, there is just so much that needs to be done here, I just don't know where Jesus would start. But I do know that Jesus is here, and has started. He is with me with every twirl of the sledge, he is with the Neubauer's as they open their home to make volunteers feel welcome, he is with the Common-Ground relief in the 9th ward, he is in Mississippi with Barb and Mary, and he is with those who are making sandwiches with some kind of tasty meat. The truth is, if you help someone help another,(make them lunch, etc.) then you are helping. What New Orleans needs right now, is the help of everyone... And I mean everyone. If you can't come down, send a check, if you can't send a check, send a blanket, if you can't send a blanket, say a prayer.

I know in my times of need Jesus is there, and usually a friend calls me right when I need it or something like that... We had a discussion, we wondered if anyone other than our class was actually reading our blog, and our hope was yes... so if you are reading this, no matter where you are, in Israel or Columbus, Hawaii or the moon... please help out anyway you can. Be like Mary, somehow we need to let the people of New Orleans know that Jesus is with them in their time of need.

Okay, time for the joke of the day... told this morning by someone who will remain anonymous...
A lady is on her way to church, when she falls and rips her dress... she gets herself back up and cleans herself off... she is about to walk in to the sanctuary when she sees an usher, she says,"Is Mass out yet? He replies, "No, but your dress is ripped"....

That's all I got... Peace to all you are reading!

No comments: